This is Yoga Stretching Exercise 7 in the 7 Yoga package – Asanas segment.
“Markata” means monkey. This asana resembles a monkey.
How to reach the stretch
- Lie down straight on your back with toes and heels joined together.
- Bend your knees with heels placed close to buttocks and feet resting on the ground.
- Place both hands on floor stretched in straight line with shoulders.
- While inhaling, bend your knees and legs to the right and neck to the left. Your left knee will rest on your right knee and left ankle will rest on right ankle. Try to touch your knees to the floor. Look to the left as far as possible.
- Remain in this position for 4-5 seconds.
How to release the stretch
- Now exhale and come back to the starting position.
- Now do this asana to the other side. While inhaling, bend your knees and legs to the left and neck to the right. Remain in this position for 4-5 seconds.
- Repeat above steps for 8 to 10 times.
- This asana stretches and twists the spinal cord, hence very helpful for backache and all spinal deformities.
- Very useful in cervical spondylitis, slip disc and sciatica.
- This asana stretches the stomach which helps to cure stomach ache, dysentery, gastric problems, constipation and indigestion.
- Enhances blood circulation and corrects nervous disorders.
- This asana massages and activates the internal organs such as kidney, pancreas, spleen and liver.
- Patients of diabetes and asthma can be benefited.
- Beneficial for hip and joint pain.
- Relieves fatigue, drowsiness and stress. Extremely effective in relaxing mind and body.
- Slows down the breathing and heart rate, hence good for the patients of high blood pressure.
People suffering from severe back pain should avoid this asana. 2Patients of hernia should practice with expert guidance.