This is Yoga Stretching Exercise 6 in the 7 Yoga package – Asanas segment.
Wind-freeing Posture, Wind releaving Pose, knee Squeeze Posture, Pavan or Pawan Mukt Asan, Pavana or Pawana Mukta Asana, Pawanmuktasana
In Sanskrit “Pavan” means air, “mukta” means release or free. Pavanmuktasana balances the wind in whole body.
How to reach the stretch
- Lie on your back. Hug your knees into your chest, while you keep your head, neck and shoulders relaxed and on the floor.
- Breathe normal.
- Focus: Close your eyes or gaze beyond your knees and relax your back muscles.
- Hold the posture for as long as it feels good. Practice this posture after back-bends to release the muscles.
How to release the stretch
- While inhaling release both the legs.
- One must rest before repeating the exercise.
- This posture releases the muscles of the lower back and relaxes the body.
- This-asana regulates wind in the body.
- It relieves constipation and indigestion.
- It reduces obesity and excessive fat of the abdomen.
- It helps in keeping away the disease of the lungs and the heart.
- For people suffering from wind trouble, acidity and gas formation, it has an instant corrective effect.
- It is also useful in the treatment of impotence, sterility and menstrual problems.
- Pregnant women should not perform this asana.
- People with serious back conditions, such as sciatica and slipped disc should avoid this asana.